Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Bribe : Surrender :: Time : Victory
A brief story about RTO system and Bribes.
Introduction
Know the System
Procedure
Loopholes
Tackle the System
Practicality – My experience


Hey pals,
Back again with a new experience, this time, it’s about corruption and my little fight against it, claiming a small victory against the system. However, hoping that this victory becomes the first step to a long road of eliminating corruption, but you never know when you give up, when you feel enough is enough and surrender… believe me, this system has the power to change anything, but only from good to bad. Unless we’re united, we don’t have the slightest chance to fight it out.
As the title tells, either you give them money or spend time, but it depends on which one of these is more important to you, I feel in both the cases, the effort put in is the same, but if you spend time instead of bribing the official, You can make a difference!!!
Spend money on bribe and surrender to the system, or Spend time and claim the Victory against the system.


Know the system, to tackle it.

Coming to the experience, I’d to get my Learner’s License. The official process is simple enough officially.
Procedure

1. Get the free form from RTO office,
2. Fill it up; put your signature, paste photograph
3. Attach your address proof (Ration card, LIC policy statement or a court affidavit)
4. Attach identity proof (election card, PAN card, 10th or 12th marks card (must be with photo))
5. Pay the nominal fee in the counter (you get the receipt there)
6. Go to the approving officer, get it approved.
7. Go to the break inspector, give a test and pass it.
8. If passed in the test, submit the form and wait. Else: GO TO STEP 1.
9. Get the processed License from the officer concerned.
http://rto.kar.nic.in/IDP-PROCEDURE.htm
Loopholes
In India RTO and Sub-registrar are notorious for its corruption, Ranked 1 and 2 for corruption rate. Its one of those places where you really can’t escape unless you’re determined.

Loopholes are countless, but stating only those which I could see and comprehend.
  • RTO people tell that they don have the stock, so they make you buy the forms outside. The officials pass on the free forms to the vendors outside, they share the income later. Considering Indian Youth population, there are plenty of forms sold everyday; each form is sold for about 2 rupees. Forms are often rejected and for Learner’s license you gotta buy two forms.
  • I didn’t see any loophole in the second step. It’s you, but fill the form properly, don’t give them a chance to rag you.
  • Often, first timers don’t have enough idea about the documentation, and that’s where they exploit you. So the next time you wanna get something done from the government, visit the office first and investigate, as to what are the requirements for the process, don’t let them find a mistake from your side.
  • Most of the forms get rejected in this place be careful ad make sure you’re all the documents before going to the next step.
  • No problem here, it’s a counter operation.
  • Here starts the real trouble; this is where you confront the corrupt ghouls. The approving officer can ask for a bribe.
No one asks for a bribe, they just irritate you and suck your energy and spirit by making you run around and finally, make you to offer a bribe, they push you to Surrender.

  • Again, the testing officer can fail you in the exam, if you don’t take care of him their way.
  • Submitting is just a mechanical job.
  • Behold the worst thing. Here is the worst and most annoying part of the process
He’ll never find your application from the stack
He’s always waiting for the higher official’s sign on the form.
And finally, he rejects it, telling you the silliest official mistake.
You can’t beat him.

Tackle the system, since you can’t break it.


Well, it’s got a lot more loopholes; you’ll get to know them all when I tell how to tackle them,
Lets’ divide the whole thing into three general stages,

First stage - The decision to fight
Second stage – The paperwork
Third stage – Interaction with officials
You really can’t stop them from cheating us with that form thing, atleast as individuals with not much authority, it’s not possible at all.
Some tips for the second stage…

  • Keep your documents prepared
  • Take time to research the system, if you know how it works, you’ll know how to break it
  • Don’t commit silly mistakes, like scratching the name, signing in wrong places etc. you gotta be perfect to change others, try to be atleast close to perfection.
  • If you do commit a mistake in the form, go ahead and correct it by either changing the form or with some eraser or whitener, don’t ignore your mistakes, because, they’re going to highlight it.
The third stage is just very annoying, because it involves direct interaction with the official, follow the following measures, you’ll have chance to get away with what you want.
  • Never argue with a official, arguing isn’t the way to show you’re correct
  • Never be late, be punctual
  • Obey the officials until it’s morally correct, you can sell the guilty this way. It works like a magic.
  • Never repeat your questions, you shouldn’t show them that you’re dependant on them. And you’re asking them to do something for which they’re being paid. But do not show that high attitude.
  • Never let them know your deadline. It plays a major role, if they know your deadline, they’ll push you to that point and there you’re, vulnerable.
  • Be calm, listen carefully and intently even though you know them already.
  • Plan things properly beforehand, you’ll be needing a lot of time,
  • Buy yourself a book, videogame etc, I swear it’s boring to death to wait in a office.
  • Thank every official even for their slightest help, rewards aren’t bad at all when you wanna get things done.
  • If they start humiliating you with procrastinations, just be calm and wait.
  • Never offer bribe, not even as a joke.
  • If the official asks the money directly, make him feel like a worm with expressions,
  • When you’re sure you can’t get past him, go to his superior. It works most of the time.
Hope all this data helps you getting things done in this system. Though you can’t win, we can. Remember, every single victory against the system contributes to the whole.


Practicality - My Experience
My experience is highly specific, because of the place and conditions I’m subjected to at the time of the whole process, so it can’t be generalized it’s just my personal account, only for the interested ones.
2 Jan 2008 : Went to the RTO office at 3.30pm, I was directed to buy the forms from the store outside as the office doesn’t have the stock, I bought the forms which were supposed to be free,
I filled up the form and then they informed me that the fee deposition counter is open only till 2.30pm, I’d to come back the next day, gathered information about the things I’d need to get the license.

3 Jan 2008 : Was in the RTO office at 11 am, paid the fees, and was ready with the application, photos and documents, went to the approving officer, he rejected my application for lack of proof on my address, I’d attached the telephone bill, but later came to know that they won’t accept that, nowhere in the campus of the office the rules and requirements are written.
I didn’t ask many questions, I asked the approving officer himself to suggest something, as I dint have election card or pan card. He asked me to get the court affidavit. I was enough polite and left the place after thanking him.
Went straight to the Dharwad court, I’d to buy a bond paper worth 20 bucks for the job, went to Mysore bank and bought the bond for 50 bucks as they were out of stock of 20 buck bonds,
Went back to the notary and got the affidavit made,
It’s so simple, I could even claim that I’m Devdas Chatterjee, and address T.Nagar, near Howrah Bridge, Delhi. It’s so damn easy... No proof required, and if you can just take a fake photocopy of your 10th marks card, you could even get a fake license... All this is illegal, but with the present system all this is possible
It was already 3.00pm so dint go back that day.
4 Jan 2008 : Went to the approving officer, since I’d visited him about three times now, he recognized me and that helped a lot. He just approved my application, he could be a honest officer, or the other way round, you never know.
Next I took the application to some other officer there, who presented a lecture for over an hour, about road safety, traffic rules, Signs etc. Then there was a test, I could pass it easily but quite a few people failed in that exam and were sent back. Go prepared, don’t give them a chance
There are so many places crucial for you, if you fail in any of those you’ll be repeating the whole procedure again. Be careful. Submitted the form and came back to home.

7 Jan 2008 : This is the best part, where I confronted the person demanding the bribe indirectly.
I reached the RTO office at about 11.30am, Went directly to the officer who’s supposed to process my application, he searched for my application from a big stack he found it in the second run, He took out the application, checked it and asked for a photograph, I gave him one, he pinned it to the application, took it with his left hand, placed it nicely at the corner of his table, a good deal away from his working area, and asked me to come at 3.00pm, Imagine yourself being asked to wait for another 3.30 hours just to get your ready license. I dint talk anything, Just obeyed him. Spend time roaming around, enjoyed the nature, discovered some nice places, it was good, read the book I’d brought. At sharp 3.00 I was at his desk, telling “Sir, you’d asked me to come at 3.00”, he just looked at me, and asked to wait for another 10 minutes though he was free, people started pouring in and I was silently and calmly waiting until the crowd dissolved, then I went to him again and asked for the license, this time he just looked at me for a second, I was having a blank face, as if I dint know why he was staring, he ordered one of his helpers to get my license. I was scared only at that moment, I was thinking how could this happen… he’s not asking for bribe, I thought it was again a game, but finally I got my license after standing at his desk for 5 minutes. I’d obeyed him, I was patient, I’d spend 5 hours around his office, I was morally right, I just sold the guilt, and got my job done, hope you got the point.
Note that, I’ve to change two buses to go to the RTO office, and it’s about 20km from my home, the office lies in between the two twin cities, Hubli and Dharwad. I reside in Dharwad. It’s on the highway and surrounded by reasonably good environment. But you won’t get anything to eat; they don’t even have a copier there.
I’d spent a bit of money on bus. But it doesn’t matter; I’ve spent a lot less than what I’d have paid a broker for the same job.
Actually dad had booked a agent for this job for 2000 bucks, I told him I didn’t want to pay them for doing what they’re already paid for. My dad just smiled and let me try on my own. He also made a deal with me that, he’d pay me that 2000 bucks, and I’ll have to get the Driving license. Profit or loss will be mine, I fight against the system for my values, and I get the reward too... Double dhamaka :)

Anyways, now it’s all done and I’ve to get my driving license next, hope to accomplish another victory then, lets just wait and watch.

No comments: